Finding an at-home IPL system that actually works is difficult. That’s why we were a bit skeptical of the Lumea SC2009/00. Yes, it’s from a brand we know and trust – Philips – but with a hefty price tag, we weren’t sure if this model was going to provide that level of value.
While there were a few things we didn’t like, the SC2009/00 surprised us. Philips says this system delivers 8 weeks of hair-free skin, and they were pretty spot on.
- Easy to use
- Delivers up to 8 weeks of smooth skin
- Cordless design is convenient
- The three attachments make hair removal a breeze
- Five intensity levels allow you to choose the right level for your skin/hair type
- Not compatible with all skin tones and hair colors
Our Philips Lumea SC2009/00 Review
The Lumea SC2009/00 is a complete at-home hair removal system that includes three attachments: one for the body, one for the face, and one for the bikini area. These attachments make it easier and more comfortable to remove hair from these key (sometimes sensitive) areas.
One thing we loved about this model was its cordless design. Many IPL systems are corded, which is fine, but requires you to stay near an outlet for your treatments. With the SC2009/00, you’re free to roam wherever you want.
The Lumea was developed with the help of dermatologists and scientists, so it’s safe to use and surprisingly simple to operate.
- Select your desired intensity level (there are five to choose from).
- Turn on the unit, and press the tip of the device on your skin.
- Wait until the light flashes, and press the button.
- Slide the device across your treatment area, avoiding flashing the same area twice.
Philips includes a chart for guidance on which level to choose based on your skin tone and hair color.
Like with most other IPL systems, the SC2009/00 is not compatible with:
- Light blonde, red, grey or white hair
- Dark skin
There are two modes that let you customize your treatments.
- Slide and Flash: Great for quick treatments of large areas, like the legs. Just glide the device across your skin for fast results.
- Step and Flash: Ideal for curvy or targeted areas, like the bikini line.
It takes about 15 minutes to treat legs, which is a small time commitment considering it delivers up to 8 weeks of hair-free skin.
- Salon IPL technology adapted for home use
- Cordless design
- Three attachments: face, body and bikini
- 5 intensity levels
- 2 treatment modes: slide and flash, and step and flash
The Lumea SC2009/00 really does achieve long-lasting hair removal, and after your first five or six treatments, you’ll start seeing a permanent reduction in regrowth.
Our only real complaint is the price of this unit, but it’s one of the few IPL systems that actually works, and is still a fraction of the cost of professional laser treatments.
If you’re looking for long-lasting, at-home hair removal, we highly recommend the Lumea SC2009/00.